Friday, February 21, 2014

Hei Matau Moana

I came across a flyer for a bone carving workshop in Nelson and decided to attend and create something to represent and commemorate what will be 8 months of independent travel. 

I have been from the lowest place on earth to then see the highest point; across oceans, deserts, and jungles; to both hemispheres experiencing an endless summer; I experienced developing, westernized, religious, conservative and liberal countries with a variety of people, culture and landscape. I have seen stereotyped actions to both affirm and contradict the expected. I have lost track of time in both days and months. I have seen the excitement of life as well as the grieving over death. I have experienced acts of kindness and of hatred. I have been lied to and taken advantage of. I have been treated with kindness and generosity. I have seen new ways of life while adapting to my own. 
My journey has taken through a huge variety of experiences and overall I have been blessed to see some of the most amazing and beautiful parts of the world with kind and wholesome people. 

The Places:
Jordan 
Eastern Europe: Germany, Austria, Slovenia, Croatia, Hungary, Serbia, Bosnia, Croatia (a second time), Italy, Greece
India
Nepal
Indonesia
Australia
New Zealand
Indonesia (a second time)
Singapore 

All of my time spent in these places has evolved into a portion of my life that I will treasure forever. I will learn from the bad and thrive on the good. To symbolize all of this and more I have created a Maori bone necklace by combining the traditional Hei Matu or fishhook and Moana or sea symbols.  

Hei matu- symbolizes good luck and protection on journeys, especially over water as well as prosperity and a fulfilled life. 

Moana- symbolizes the importance and fascination of the sea. The sea is important for several reasons in Maouri culture: it's home to 'Hine a Moana' and 'Tangaroa' (goddess and god of the sea), resting place for the souls after life, major food source. 

I decided to combine these symbols for multiple reasons:
First of all, the fishhook meaning protection and luck on journeys especially over seas correlates directly to the fact that I want it to represent something from my travels and will continue to provide protection and luck as I finish my trip and continue other journeys in my life. 
Secondly, the wave meaning importance and fractionation with the sea has come to mean something unique to me specifically on this trip. Throughout my entire life I have always loved water and swimming but I have now come to appreciate the power it holds. At several points on my trip I have struggled with various things small and big. From not knowing where to go next to questioning what I want to do with my life. There have been times where I have not felt like myself and struggled to appreciate my surroundings including the actual location and the people I was with. The main time this happened was for a portion of my time in Australia. I was aware of it but couldn't seem to change it. After 10 days of surfing and swimming along the Great Ocean Road everything changed. I was reenergized, passionate, and back to myself again. I have now noticed this feeling in other oceans, rivers, and lakes. The sea has a strong vibrant power and energy that is able to make me conscious lively. 
Finally, I think both meanings and designs work well together both symbolically and ascetically. 

It is also part of Maori tradition that the necklaces be given as gifts and those who wear it remember the ones who had it previously. I am excited to one day pass it on to someone who finds as much meaning in the piece. 

Taonga--Treasure

1 comment:

  1. Its been a while since I have had the chance to take a look at your blog. What amazing things you have been able to do and see! I love the necklace and the meaning behind it. Hopefully one of these days our trips to CA will overlap and we will be able to catch up...its been WAY too long! Or give me a call if your adventures ever bring you to Texas :)

    ReplyDelete