Sunday, December 21, 2014

An American Thanksgiving Potluck in Bundoran, Ireland

Thanksgiving is easily one of my favorite holidays and regardless of where I am I always celebrate. Last year I celebrated with two Argentinians and a South African in Nepal eating chicken burgers and buff momo on a beautiful sunny day. It was among one of my favorite Thanksgivings mainly because when we went around the circle to say what everyone was thankful for they were the most sincere words I have heard at a Thanksgiving gathering. This year I celebrated with 10 nationalities including Irish, Swedish, Norwegian, German, Welsh, Australian, English, South African, Dutch and of course American. It was a potluck style meal so initially we were skeptical if people would actually contribute and there would be enough food for everyone attending. My contribution was making two turkeys, stuffing and cranberry sauce. I had never made a turkey before and know from previous family thanksgivings that things can easily go wrong when cooking the turkey but I was very attentive while cooking and they actually turned out great! I was more than thrilled and it was rewarding to see everyone enjoying what I had made. We did not go around saying what we were all thankful for because there were so many of us but the positive fun atmosphere was enough to make me happy and really appreciate where I am presently not only in location but in life in general. The majority of people that were at the Thanksgiving dinner were all surfers and there happened to be an asp surfing competition on that evening so after dinner we watched some surfing and relaxed by a fire. It was a great night with amazing people, delicious food, good surf and a cozy fire.


No comments:

Post a Comment