Friday, December 19, 2014

Norway

Oslo
1 night

Since I was running out of time I decided that I would only spend one night in Oslo so I could maximize my time hiking in Bergen. I had arrived when it was already dark so my exploring was restricted to the night. I just wandered around seeing what I could without knowing much about the city and later on continued wandering with Bret who I had met on my last day in Stockholm.

The next morning I woke up early to take the morning train to Bergen. I had heard amazing things about the train ride with websites saying that it is the most beautiful train ride in Europe with amazing landscape and beautiful scenery. Below is a photo from the train ride.
Bergen
3 nights

I was extremely excited to arrive in Bergen because there was meant to be some good hikes and outdoor activities in the area. I had also talked to my friend Stein who was from Norway to get some suggestions of things to do in Norway and told him some of the places that I had been thinking of going and he connected me with two of his really good friends that were living in Bergen and they invited me to dinner the night I arrived. I was supposed to meet them at 6 in Bryggen but ended up completely leaving the city center. First of all my hostel was outside of the city center and I was told to get off at a specific stop in the city center but the bus I took didn't stop where I was told and ended up completely leaving the center. I managed to get a bus going back and somehow found Aslak and Erlend. We went back to Aslak's apartment which was just behind Bryggen street where Mia his girlfriend was cooking an amazing meal. While traveling a home cooked meal is always greatly appreciated and the mushroom pie, salad and bread that Mia had made were exceptional! After a lovely evening I made my way back to my hostel where I got a good night sleep to prepare for my long day of hiking that awaited me the following day. However, when I awoke the next day the weather had turned and was extremely windy, rainy and cold. I decided to wait a bit for the wind to die down or the rain to slow down a bit but as the day continued the wind and rain persisted. I decided I would start my hike and see how I felt as I went along. My initial plan was to hike up to Ulriken and then across to Floyen which would have taken me all day but when I reached the top of Ulriken clouds began surrounding me and there was very little of a view to see and the rain and wind picked up even more so I decided it was best to head back down since all of my clothes were already drenched and I was very cold and tired at that point. Unfortunately the following day also had poor weathers so I only walked around the town a for a little bit instead of more hiking and even that was a challenge because of the cold and rain. Overall I did enjoy my time there but would love to go back in the summer when there is better weather and do a lot more hiking in Bergen and other areas of Norway that look astonishing from pictures.




No comments:

Post a Comment