Thursday, December 18, 2014

Sweden

Stockholm
3 nights

I got a lot of walking in while I was in Stockholm. The archipelago has fourteen islands and I was able to explore a good number of them. I stumbled upon castles, parks, sculptures and museums. I also did two free walking tours that explored the new town and the old town. The new town wasn't that exciting because it was just like any other city with buildings, shops and restaurants. However, the old town was much more interesting with its narrow cobblestone pathways, palaces, old buildings and viking history.

After several days of exploring I was off to Gothenburg for a night then onto Norway.

Gothenburg
2 nights

Initially Gothenburg was meant to be a quick one night stop on my way to Oslo, Norway. However, it was one of those places when I arrived that I knew I had to say longer. When I arrived at the hostel I met some great people staying there and right away felt comfortable. The evening I arrived I went to an English Pub with an American guy staying at the hostel and ended up meeting a bunch of locals and having a great night out.

The next morning despite my raging hangover I put on warm clothes and ventured out to Slottsskogen Park which I was told had a baby moose also known as a calf but not to be confused with a baby cow. It was a cold but beautiful day and my curiosity was excited and overwhelmed by how immense the park was and how many things there were to see and directions to go. Every direction I looked there was a path that was calling my name to explore it more. The problem was there were so many paths and I wanted to go on all of them I had a hard time choosing what path to take and on top of it my main mission was to find the new calf that was in the park. After wandering around exploring as many paths as I could for about an hour I found all of the animals. It was a very unique place because it was like a public zoo within a park. Anyone walking around the park could see the seals, moose, sheep, birds and other animals that called Slottsskogen their home. I was lucky because when I was walking around the seals were very active and their curiosity brought them to the edge of the pool and swim around where I was standing. I then found the Moose enclosure and was there when they got fead. I was having such an amazing time walking around and finding all sorts of random unexpected things that my hangover seemed to disappear until I returned to the hostel in the evening. All of the guys staying in the hostel were planning on going to a reggae club that evening which sounded great but I decided to stay in because I had to get up early the next morning to catch a bus so I could actually spend a couple days in Norway.



No comments:

Post a Comment