Monday, November 4, 2013

Bosnia

Bosnia: Sarajevo & Mostar 

Sarajevo oct 6-8
When I checked into travelers home hostel the man working said, "so I hear I'm supposed to make you am omelet". Joe form my Hedonist in Belgrade had told him to make me an omelet and to ask me about the story behind it. I just smiled and laughed. 
I met Joanne and Matis there who were part of the Belgrade Crew. 
I did a free walking tour, went to a war history museum, wandered around, saw a great view of the city from a hill, met locals, went to a bar that was in a theater, and got out of a 200 mark fine from Bosnian police. 


Mostar 2 nights
I was quite excited to arrive in Mostar because I had heard so many good things about it, specifically about the hostel I was going to stay at because of a tour that was only offered through the hostel. The hostel was called Miran Hostel and Miran the guy that ran the hostel picked Kris, Aurturo(?) and I up at the train station which we were lucky to arrive at because there were no signs and the train was not running on time. With only 30 seconds to spare we got off the train and were greeted by Miran. He picked up breakfast for us which consisted of bread stuffed with potatoes, cheese, meet. That afternoon Joanne, Chris, Arturo, a German guy whose name I forgot, and I did a walking war tour. We learned about the recent war, saw a sniper tower, remnants of shrapnel & bullet casings, and the war torun buildings. We also watched a short film on the Mostar bridge being destroyed in the war and then rebuilt. Not having learned much about this previously it was interesting to learn about it while in the country and in the presence of people who lived it and could give first hand perspectives. The following day we did a full day tour where we got to see 
Waterfalls:

A Castle:

The front line of the war:

A bunker: 

It was a wonderful stay in Mostar and a fantastic tour led by a welcoming, educated, and fabulous host. It was an enriching and eye opening experience that I would recommend to everyone who goes to Mostar! 
http://www.hostelmiran-mostar.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment