Monday, November 4, 2013

Hobo Bear

Zagreb, Croatia 3 nights

After a long day of travel mishaps I found Hobo Bear which was the hostel that I was staying at in Zagreb. My first impression was that it was very quaint & homey. The check in area was shared with the common space with brick walls which brought about a calming feel. 
Within the first couple minutes of arriving it was brought to my attention by the large group of people hanging out in the common area that it was happy hour. I was exhausted and had just planned on going to sleep early but couldn't resist meeting new people and having a cold beer which cost me 1 USD. Before I knew it I had been convinced to go to a club Aquarius. The club was not the best but the people I went with were all amazing which made the night fun. 


On the 28th Nathan, Kristen, Kaan, and I cooked owlets for breakfast, walked around, and did sightseeing throughout the city. Later that evening I went with Nathan to meet his friend Pave he had met through sail Croatia. We had several laughs over an interesting powdered juice and called it a night fairly early because we were planning of waking up early to go to Plitviza national park. 

The next morning we got an early start but the tram that we had to take to the bus station was not on time. We were running very close on time. When we arrived at the bus station we ran to the ticket counter to purchase our tickets but the lady told us we could buy them on the bus. We sprinted through the station to find the platform and somehow we made it onto the bus with two minutes to spare! 

For some reason the bus we took dropped us off at gate two instead of the main gate. Unfortunately Kristen, Billy, and BoDo needed lockers which were at the main gate. It took us about 45 minutes to walk back to the main gate. Kristen, Billy, BoDo, Kaan and I all explored the park regardless of the constant rain. It was a bit of a bummer for Nathan being an Aussie used to sun and great weather all the time. However, my Seattle mentality that if you are not going to do something because of the rain then you will never do anything rubbed off a little.  We hiked the large loop and took a boat across the lake to see the main falls and finished by taking a tram back to the main gate to get our bus back. 

Yes, this is a terrible picture....but the only group photo I have. 

Kaan, Nathan and I Returned to Hobo Bear for another night where everyone in the hostel got together to watch gladiator, play drinking games, and talk until falling asleep. Hobo Bear truly felt like a home while staying there thanks to the travelers passing through, the hostel itself and the fabulous staff. 

Next destination: Budapest 

No comments:

Post a Comment