Monday, November 4, 2013

The Pearl of the Danube

Budapest, Hungry 3 nights

When I arrived at my hostel there was a man in his 80s talking to a lady that worked there and every 5 minutes would cough so  intensely I thought he might need serious help. Once I checked in I discovered that we not only were in the same room but were sharing a bunk. That night I got no sleep because his coughing combined with his snoring would shake the bed. All night I was counting down the time until 6am when he said he was checking out. Finally when he left I got a couple hours of sleep but it was not nearly enough.  

After my first night in Hungry I got a fbook mesage from Mirium telling me to check my email because she had sent me something. I opened my email and found a video from people I went to Jordan with. I will add the link to the video once I'm using a computer and able to do so. I should also mention that my most recent posts don't look as good as previous ones because the iPad only lets me select one size of photo and it can't be moved around the page. 

Anyway, it was perfect timing for such a lovely message considering the restless night I had and helped me start the day on the right foot. 

On the 30th I wandered around on my own and discovered an amazing park before doing a free walking tour which showed a large part of the city with lots of history included. We went from the Pest side to the Buda side and saw many significant monuments and places.  

On the tour I met a girl from the states named Lucy and a guy from the UK named Chris. We decided to meet up later at the worlds third best bar. Before meeting up Chris and I got dinner which was delicious. I wasn't sure if he actually recommended it because he liked it or because it was the first thing he saw on the menu. Regardless, whatever I had was delicious and local. 

We all met up at Szimpla and had a couple beers. Lucy left fairly early with her friend and I was left there with Chris and another guy we met at the bar. Chris was getting a little weird so i decided it was time for me to leave. 

http://ruinpubs.com/

On the 1st of October I went to the Terror museum which has exhibits about Hungry's relationship with Nazi Germany, fascist Arrow Cross Party, and Communism in Hungry. It was a very powerful exhibit with many graphic images and videos. I wish there was more on the walls written in English but the informational flyers conveyed the message well enough. 

I then attended another free walking tour put on by the same people but it was more specific. They ran a communist tour and a Jewish walking tour. I initially intended on going on the communist tour but then decided to switch at the last minute because the lady running that tour was not as enthusiastic as the guy doing the Jewish walking tour. In the end I was happy with my decision and was able to see the Jewish quarters and learn a lot about the segregation that occurred in Hungry that I was previously unaware of. 
Dohany Street Great Synagogue

That evening I had dinner at a street market and enjoyed a mini concert with local music. 

Upon returning to the hostel the people in my room had changed. I sat in the common area for a while looking at possibilities for places to go next. Before I knew it the three new people in my room invited me to drink with vodka with them from their hometown in Poland and another unplanned spontaneous drinking night was born. We went to Szimpla had several drinks, hung out and had a much better night than the previous night there purely because of the good company I was in. 

They sell carrots....don't ask...

The next morning I went on a refreshing walk along the river before boarding my train to Belgrade. Overall, I loved the city layout, the locals I met, and the Polish guys that mad my last night a blast. 

No comments:

Post a Comment