Sunday, November 3, 2013

The Tent Mate from Hell

My first stop as a solo traveler is Europe for a total of 41 days!
DATES September 21 - October 31st   

Initially I was trying to make one blog post with everything from Europe but it has become a bigger task than I could tackle so I am going to post about at least one country a day. 

Munich, Germany 2 nights
While in Germany I decided to stay at a camp site through stoke travel. The main motivation for this was the price. Literally all of the hostels had been booked and the hotel rooms were charging exuberant rates of upwards of 200 euros! The camping website sold the experience pretty well, so I went for it! I was going to get my own personal tent but the price was still too much so I signed up for a shared tent. I made my way from the airport to the campsite which was a ways out of town. Upon arrival, I was greeted by a very enthusiastic group of empoyees who got me a beer, showed me to my tent, and introduced me to my tent mate. I was going to share a tent with a girl from Australia who seemed really nice. We talked for a while and got dinner that was put on at the camp site and met a couple of guys from Belgium if I remember correctly. That day I did not end up going to any of the beer halls but ended up just staying at the campsite for 10 euro all you can drink beer. As the night went on I talked to Jonas (one of the guys that I had met earlier). Once we decided we were too tired to stay up he offered me an extra sleeping bag and a pillow since I  was not used to the cold  just having come from the Middle East. When I got into my tent I was shocked to see my stuff everywhere! My tent mate had gone through my backpack, thrown my stuff everywhere, puked on everything, and then passed out! I couldn't find my sleeping bag because my headlamp was missing so I cleared a spot and was very thankful for the pillow and sleeping bag that was lent to me. I was still cold but it was better than nothing. The next morning my tent mate was gone. She had taken my sleeping bag and used hers and mine to keep warm. I looked on the bright side because i was lucky enough to have all my valuables! I changed tents and put all my puked on clothes in a stuff sack and put them away to wash later. That day I went to the beer halls, walked around, took a nap on a hill and in the evening drank with some Aussies and Kiwis at the campsite. I was very glad that night my tent mate left my stuff alone and did not puke anywhere! After a good night sleep, I was off to Vienna. 



1 comment:

  1. Wow. I'm glad she didn't steal anything critical. I'm actually surprised that hasn't been much of an issue while you're traveling. The puke and the bedbugs would have gotten to me though.

    ReplyDelete